The Deliveroo engineering team blog
Only awesome code.
While integrating with a new payment provider, we needed to sync merchant ids via SFTP. We built an AWS Lambda function with Terraform to do this. I’ll walk through our Terraform configuration and the hurdles we overcame around accessing the S3 bucket and retrieving sensitive credentials.
Last week a seemingly simple ActiveRecord query was causing problems on production, by being incredibly slow. Together with my colleague Marty I debugged the issue and as a result we decreased the query time from about 80 seconds to about 100 milliseconds.
One of the best things about working in Deliveroo Engineering is that we have the opportunity to work on a great ever-changing product, which means we are constantly evolving, improving and facing new challenges. One of the main problems we have right now, which is a great problem to have, is the fact that we have grown so much that our monolithic application can’t hold everything in just one place anymore.
Do many software engineers know what an Engineering Manager (EM) actually does? As I moved through several companies through my career I saw this role in so many different colors and forms. Every time I was wondering - what is this job actually? I am not going to come with an exhaustive definition as I doubt it exists… However I’ve recently moved from Software Engineering role to an Engineering Manager, so hopefully my fresh memories and this post will help anyone who’s interested to find out more about what it’s like to be an EM at Deliveroo.
- Application Deployment at Deliveroo
- Migrating from Buddybuild to Bitrise
- Interning at Deliveroo
- How to introduce Kotlin in your codebase
- How do we interview engineers at Deliveroo?
- Reset, Rebase Workflow
- Tired of waiting for pull request reviews? Play Pull Request Roulette
- Improving Password Security
- Determinating a Scavenger Hunt
- Data Sink
- How to un-rickroll yourself
- “I assess quality……therefore I am”
- Hackday and the £17 soda
- Every service is an island
- Scaling Rails 3.old
- Optimising Redis storage, part two
- What it’s like to be an Android developer at Deliveroo